Thursday, July 18, 2013

The accident

my welcome home dinner
I will keep this brief because, well it isn't a very exciting story. I have been wanting to say I broke my arm biking down some crazy steep mountain, but in the end that would be a lie.
John and I were out on a date, a road bike ride date. This was going to be the first of several road bike ride dates as we found a nice Swiss girl from church to watch Hannah close to once a week. We had a great 2 hour bike ride and decided we would put our bikes in the cellar instead of our apartment (the cellar is where they really belong).
The vertical dark line in the lower bone is my lovely fracture
The Swiss people love to clean everything. So, in typical Swiss style they must have decided wash and buffer the section of parking garage floor by where we live. The lights in the garage aren't super bright and neither of us noticed it was really slippery. I was maybe going 5 mph and turning left and before I even knew I was falling I was on the ground hurting really badly, feet still clipped in and all.

 
We managed to put the bikes away, I found some ice and John drove the baby sitter home- sad ending to a good bike ride.
Four days later I found out my left elbow was broken, had surgery and spent 3 days in the hospital.

See the lovely splint I am supposed to wear for 6 weeks, except when doing my exercises.
Hannah has been a trooper staying all or half day at other peoples houses during my hospital stay and recovery.... thankfully she I an easy baby and doesn't have stranger danger yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment