Monday, July 15, 2013

Stanserhorn Berglauf

The start, only about 100m before we started going up!
Two Sundays ago, 3 days after my biking accident, I completed my first berglauf. A berglauf is simply translated to mountain run. Most typically in Switzerland you run up the mountain and ride a lift down and they are all of varying distances and elevation change.

The peak of this mountain was the finish
The Stanserhorn berglauf happens to start in our town, Stans, so I thought it would make for a nice low stress attempt at my first berglauf.  Little did I know when I signed up, that I would be completing it with a broken arm :)
The day of the race was great weather, but a tad warm near the top when I was tired and the mountain is STEEP. The race was 11k and the first few k's were on asphalt (which was steep and not exciting)and the rest was a hiking trail.
Overall it was a great experience, except I was jealous of all the tall men who were power walking faster than my slow jog :) Oh and hopefully next time all 4 of my limbs are in working order!


 Views from the top, just above the clouds

 Finish strong

 Restaurant from the top
My poor arm and swollen left hip
Gondola ride down, coming out of the clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment