Friday, May 10, 2013

Auffahrt

Yesterday was Auffahrt Tag, in English Ascension Day, and it was a holiday for all of Switzerland.  There were some eating establishments open along with recreational places like swimming pools, but for the most part all Cantons (states) were mostly shut down. I may had said this before but all the Cantons are either Catholic or Protestant and then you get certain holidays off based on that, but Ascension Day is a holiday for both. There are actually 2 more holidays in May for John and as a newly stay at home mom I really like these random days off that he gets! 

Hannah enjoying her portable chair!
 
So we celebrated Auffahrt Tag by going to the swimming pool with a new family (from South Africa/France). This family has a 2 year old daughter and 6 month old daughter and have started to attend the church that we go to.  It wasn't quite warm enough to go in the outdoor pool with the little ones, but we enjoyed playing at the nearby park and sipping on a coffee.

 
Since John had off of work I also got to go on a run without Hannah! My arms thanked him :)  Since I didn't have the stroller in tow I decided to run up the "hill" close to our apartment. In 35 minutes I ascended 2,000 ft., the way down was MUCH easier.  There is a run here in July that I am trying to decide if I should do, the Stanserhorn Berglauf. Basically you run up the big mountain that is to the south of us. In 12k you ascend 1600 meters I believe!!  I might have to postpone attempting this race till we have been here a few years and I am better at running hills :)

The view after my hill run
 
The incoming storm we got stuck in on our Family walk!
 
We rounded out the day with John's homemade pizza.  He is getting very good at making the dough and sauce, thanks to a Swiss friend sharing his recipe.  The pizza looked beautiful but unfortunately I didn't take a picture.  So, I will leave you with a video clip of Hannah talking to her banana, a new morning routine :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFvNsSg1288

 



No comments:

Post a Comment