Sunday, March 2, 2014

Winter Wonderland

Village of Engelberg in the distance

This winter has been unusually warm and as a result most of the snow is only higher up in the mountains. This weekend it has been a bit rainy here in Stans, but that means fresh snowfall in the mountains, and at a lower altitude due to cooler temperatures. I really feel sorry for all of our family and friends in the Midwest where it has been so cold for so long, and even Pennsylvania has been very cold. We have really appreciated being able to actually enjoy the snow without FREEZING!

John is in the good ole USA for work for two weeks. One more week to go! I am thankful Hannah is fairly easy, but it gets lonely with John gone. Thankfully, I got to get out and enjoy the fresh snow for a bit on my cross country skis yesterday. I have said it before, and I am sure I will say it again, but it is so nice to drive 20 min and be in the mountains on a nicely groomed cross country loop that is about 15 km long. 
Gugga music, basically groups of marching bands playing songs
This time of year in Switzerland also means Fasnacht/Carnival. If you remember, when we arrived last year we were greeted by constant marching band music, people of all ages dressed up in costumes, and lots of people drinking quite a lot (so it seemed). This year we don't live so close to the center of town, so we haven't noticed quite as much of the chaos. But, yesterday in Engelberg I did enjoy a little of the Gugga music as there was a small Kinderfasnacht band marching through the town. It was just the right amount of Fasnacht for me :)



First time watching a little show on the Ipad, engaged!







No comments:

Post a Comment