Saturday, November 9, 2013

Swiss City Halbmarathon


Almost two weekends ago I completed my 4th race here in Switzerland, the Luzern Swiss City HalbMarathon.  Unfortunately it rained for the first half, but the race itself was a perfectly run event (exactly what you would expect from the Swiss!).  It is getting easier to show up for a race and try to figure out all the details/rules/what is happening when you hear no English and usually no High German either, only Swiss German which still mostly sounds like gibberish to me :)
Storm clouds rollling out, sun coming in.
I met one of John's co workers at the train station who had done the race about 6 times so he helped me navigate the crowds. With your registration you get a free round trip train ride, then a round trip ship pass to transport you to the start area/back to the trains instead of walking an extra 2 or so miles each way.
The mountain in the background on the right is Mt. Pilatus


Just past halfway in the village of Horw
The other thing that I still have not gotten used to is every race I have done here has a Damen and Herren Garderoben area.  This is usually in two different schools and is a big gym or something with access to showers and then a place to put your bag while you run. I have never changed clothes before and after a race in the states but everyone here changes right before the race and then right after the race they shower and change back into the clothes they arrived in. It is such a great idea! I think it works because stealing is not really an issue here so everyone leaves their stuff, not locked in lockers, and they trust it will be there when they return. Unfortunately I am still used to showing up in my running clothes and then just being sweaty and such after that I didn't have warm dry clothes for after the race :(
Warming up with so coffee, Hannah choose milk :) with our friend Trini
John, Hannah, and our friend Trini (who was supposed to run but is injured) rode their bikes into town to cheer me on! It was fun to have them there even if they got a bit wet from the rain as well.
Proud of my mommy!
 We all enjoyed the sunshine that came out after the race and the warm coffee afterwards!

If you are wanting to do a half marathon abroad I would definitely recommend this one, the marathon is just two loops of the marathon so I don't think that is quite as appealing.






No comments:

Post a Comment